Friday, April 20, 2012

R is for Repetition



My favorite post from last year's challenge was my P post about Edgar Allen Poe and how awesome Vincent Price was in the Poe movies when I was a kid.  I meant to write about Poe again, but forgot about it and wrote about whatever was on my mind that day. 

Last year, I purchased several of the DVDs of those movies.  The Pit and the Pendulum was my favorite, still is.  My husband watched the movies with me with the same enthusiasm.  My older kids didn't know what to think. 

I definitely wouldn't be the same writer if I hadn't watched those movies and read so much Poe when I was younger.  I don't write horror stories, but I do like writing dark humor.  Maybe a little too much.

I am repeating the clip from last year's post here.  I could play this all day long and never stop enjoying it. 






I also want to thank Alex J Cavanaugh for the shout out on Quirky day yesterday and all of his very kind words.  I take the label of quirky as the compliment I am certain it was meant to be. 

One of my former co-workers once told me I should write because I had a "skewed perspective."  You could tell from the other people's faces that were standing around that I might just take that as an insult.  They looked a little scared.  But I knew what she meant.  I am a little quirky.  Honestly, I think most people are - some are just better at hiding it than others.


*    *    *    *    *    *


This post is part of the 2012 A to Z Challenge.

29 comments:

  1. Vincent Price fit Poe so well.
    And you are welcome. It was definitely meant as a compliment. Normal is weird, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. People who are normal are just pretending anyway.

      Delete
  2. I'm a big fan of Poe; two years ago on a trip to the States I managed to pick up a leather bound volume of his works. I can't say that I like his poetry as much as his stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom had a hardback collection of Poe from when she was in high school and gave it to me when I was about 11. I was instantly in love. I still have the book. It is not in good shape. I like the poetry.

      Delete
  3. I love Poe and the Pit and the Pendulum. "My older kids didn't know what to think..." ,<- lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won back my credibility when I let them watch Alien.

      Delete
  4. I was a big fan of Poe when I was younger. Can't say I've read anything he wrote in many years now. Isn't there a movie about him coming out... kind of a Sherlock Holmes ripoff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't like Sherlock Holmes. I hope it's better.

      Delete
  5. yes his writings are like no other--his museum is in my town and i have never visited--one of my things to do this summer--great post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we're going to try to go there this summer.

      Delete
  6. I totally agree with ya (and my "Q" post topic yesterday was also "Quirky").

    Quirky is cool. And to tie it in with today's theme, let me add:

    Quirky is cool.

    ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was called quirky this week by someone. Totally took it as a compliment. And I used to watch those old Vincent Price re-runs as a kid. I was quirky back then too. :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that video is insanely amazing! Thanks for sharing :)

    Sarah Allen
    (my creative writing blog)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have recorded my little guy laughing with it repeatedly. :)

      Delete
  9. I love Poe, and I'm glad you shared the clip again because I hadn't discovered your blog yet last year. Love it!

    The Fall of the House of Usher is probably my favorite Poe story, but I love all of his work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that one too and The Cask of Amontillado.

      Delete
  10. I think you're fabulous, Tonja. :) I love old movies. I caught a bit of The Queen from Outer Space or something like that yesterday. Then I had to dash off. Met my writer women friends for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're fabulous too. :) We have a collection of really old sci-fi movies. My kids and I are going to watch them all (not in one night). I've never seen Rollerball. It looks a little bit like Hunger Games.

      Delete
  11. I love quirky! I used to try to hide my quirkiness and now I embrace it. When I meet people who are comfortable with their quirkiness...I can't enough of them. :-) Did I say quirky enough? Did I mention I love that word? Lol! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love quirky characters. And people that are outrageously quirky.

      Delete
  12. The most interesting people are the weird, oops, I mean quirky ones.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vincent Price! Quirky! Baking cookies with little boys! I have just discovered your blog from A-Z, and I will definitely be back... :)

    Nice to meet you!

    http://emdashesandicecream.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love Poe! My son was on stage in 'The Murders in the Rue Morgue' when he was about 12 - such a fab play to play round with.

    Poe = quirkiness personified.

    Quirky, I'm sure we all have something quirky about us, just some are more filled with quirkiness than others and live in a quirkdom.

    If you are interested, I'm leaving you my A-Z link as blogger always identifies me as my shared blog with other poets - my A-Z is this one: http://www.lizbrownleepoet.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. He has that classic laugh at the end of Thriller. He was one of a kind.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a huge Edgar Allen Poe fan. You are so right Vincent Price was amazing!

    ReplyDelete