Saturday, November 12, 2011

A Three Day Writing Weekend

It's day two of a three day weekend where I have the potential to finish the edits to my novel and significantly increase the word count on my NaNo novel.

I heavily revised one chapter and edited two others yesterday.  Then my back started hurting from sitting too long.  I got a little headache from staring at my laptop screen, so stretched out on my bed for just a few minutes.  I closed my eyes, and the day was gone.  I slept until the evening and woke up with a mild headache.

This morning I'm ready to make up for what I didn't do yesterday (including the laundry I was going to tackle between chapters).  Part of me wants to slack off and relax.  The other part of me desperately needs a sense of completion.  So I will write now and slack off later. 

Maybe a reward in the middle would be good - like a change of venue and a pumpkin spice latte or a quick walk to the lake.

As a mother of three with a preschooler at home most of the time, I have no real choice but to make the weekends my work days for writing.  Which do you choose for this weekend:  Relaxation or work? 


5 comments:

  1. Mostly relaxing. Write fast this morning so you have more time for slacking later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually work through the week when my children are in school and leave the weekends for family. However, like you, I desperately want to complete my M.S., so I chose to work yesterday. Unfortunately, I wound up organizing the pencils on my desk, while my computer stared accusingly at me. After about an hour and a half of this, I finally blinked and decided to do something else. Whenever the words won't come it means I've been plugging away at the ole M.S. a bit too hard. Taking a break helps me unwind. When I returned to my desk today, I was able to get some writing done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex - I rewrote one chapter this morning and was so excited I took a break until now.

    Andrea - The stuff on my desk has been messing with me too. I think when you need a break, you need to take it.

    Michael - Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only I wrote yesterday was my blog. I cleaned house a little and visited with my daughter. Today, I'll be working on people's hair and later this evening, I'll be working on my rewrites.

    ReplyDelete