Monday, March 21, 2011

A Little Bit of Writer's Block

This is one of my writing mornings.  I have three hours to write until I need to pick up my little guy from his little school.  He didn't sleep well last night, so I'm going to have my hands full this afternoon.  My little guy when overtired never gets to sleep easily.  Maybe a drive to grandma's will do the trick after lunch.  I normally don't like to take extreme measures, but am feeling desperate even now, several hours before naptime.

I told my middle son I wasn't sure what I would write about today.  I have a huge list of ideas for new stories, all of them already well-formed enough in my mind to write them easily.  I don't have any particular urge to write any of them and may just edit the last chapters of the novel I just finished writing.  He told me I should write about pie, his favorite topic.  A rhyming story about pie did come to me while I lazily got my breakfast ready.  And it then it left.  But that's OK, pie is his favorite thing to write about, so I will leave the pie stories to the 4th grade crowd. 

All of my writing friends and fellow bloggers who write about writing seem happiest when they write.  I feel the same.  And all of us have moments when an invisible wall of doubt comes between us and this happy work.  Today is that day for me.  Better to just break through it and write anything than let the wall get thicker until it is impenetrable.

No, I still don't much feel like writing after this little pep talk to myself.  I have no idea which story I will decide to begin to write in the next two minutes, but I will write something.  Maybe I will randomly pick a numbered idea off one of my lists of ideas and just do it.  Number two sounds good....

No comments:

Post a Comment