Saturday, January 15, 2011

Memories...

I just told my husband about the day I knew I wanted him in my life forever.  He and I enjoyed a dinner we cooked together on the deck of my house, now our house, while we talked for hours about everything and nothing.  I was relaxed and comfortable and happy.  He was the man I could see myself spending the rest of my life with.  Whether he remained my boyfriend or became my husband, he was the one.

As I shared my memory of the day that sealed the deal for me, he gave me a blank stare - no recollection whatsoever. 

He said the day that stood out for him was a different day.  He said it was a summer day.  We had a fire in the fire pit in the back yard and grilled steaks, corn, and salad.  We returned from an amusement park with the kids and all shared an evening together.  I don't remember that day at all.

Even if our memories aren't shared, I am very happy we both had the same idea of how our marriage would be:  relaxed weekend evenings with conversation and eats.  Maybe today we will make new memories inside our house making smiley face pancakes with fresh fruit on the side.  We will share new memories with our kids, who definitely feel like they are now our kids, not just my kids.  I can't wait to ask them their first realization that my now husband was the right one for our family - I know they felt that way too.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment