Monday, January 10, 2011

Imminent Snow Day

This morning around 7:00 A.M. just before my husband returned from taking my teenager to school and just before my alarm went off to wake up my fourth grader, the weather alarm went off.  There's nothing more annoying than the sound of the weather alarm when you are in a deep sleep. 

The voice sound was turned off - with my glasses still off, I could read the words, "SEVERE WINTER STORM," move across the little display.  Yeah!  Snow day, I thought, followed immediately by confusion - my daughter had already been dropped at school.  Yikes.  The public school normally sends out automated phone calls to announce delays and closings, so we have become very lazy about checking the news for closings.  We also have a cable phone, which goes out more often than it should with no warning and no corresponding interruption to our cable and internet service. 

I put on my glasses and turned on the t.v.  The 7 A.M. alarm that likely woke up every other person in my county was for tonight and tomorrow.  The thought of a snow day tomorrow made me too happy to be annoyed by the premature alarm. 

My baby and I have been making plans already for tomorrow.  I think we will enjoy the day lazily heating up frozen appetizers, snacking on fruit, and playing games all day in our pajamas.  I can't wait.  I am just praying the electricity holds up.  The tanks for my fireplace are empty....

No comments:

Post a Comment