My toddler has a habit of putting too much food in his mouth no matter how small we cut the pieces or how many times we tell him about choking and little bites. I routinely put my hand out in front of his mouth so he will spit it out.
Yesterday, he had a mouthful of chewed up raisin bread in his mouth I thought he had swallowed. He was walking around and started gagging when it got stuck in the roof of his mouth. He walked toward me, put his hand on my hand, and moved my hand under his mouth so he could spit it out.