Sunday, December 12, 2010

Dreams and Motivation

I woke up this morning feeling happy and optimistic despite all of my ailments and my grinchiness this past week.  My husband made a perfect pot of coffee and let me sleep late after going to bed early.  All of my kids are in wonderful moods this morning, and there's a couple of inches of snow on the ground.  We finally have ornaments on the tree (but no angel or stockings quite yet) and the house isn't too much of a mess.  I feel like writing today...and baking cookies for family and friends.

When I sleep too much, I always have active dreams as if my mind is trying to wake me up.  Usually I dream about work - the work I did for 16 years at a children's hospital.  The recurring dream is like the dream I have about going back to high school and not remembering where my classes are or that I have an exam but have never been to class - or that I have a college degree and shouldn't be there at all.  In my work dreams, there are usually key people that represent good and evil (you know who you are - if not, you should).  Usually, I come to work and they don't need me or want to fire me until my waking mind remembers I don't need the job - I quit, remember? 

Last night was an unusually good back-to-work dream.  One of my co-workers who is a friend (Judy) was waiting with me outside the dressing room at Kohl's while my daughter took forever trying on clothes although the setting in my mind was definitely work-related - hospital VP's were everywhere and I was late getting back to my desk.  Judy asked me about work and meant writing, not the IT work I did at the hospital.  She offered to read my children's book.  I told her I used to be afraid to let people read my writing.  Now I don't mind and take the criticism with some balance.  Some comments I use and some I don't - just like criticism of software I used to develop at the hospital.  This is the first back-to-work dream I woke up from feeling happy and refreshed.

I feel totally motivated to edit my children's story today and would love to have it done by the end of the year, at least the first pass at edits.  I need to clean my work area too and make it happy again.  I definitely don't want to go out through the snow to the coffee shop to work today.

No comments:

Post a Comment