Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Wise Words from a Small Person

Every morning when I drive my small one to preschool, we pass over the bridge to the highway I used to take to work when I worked a "normal" job.  The highway was stopped for miles. 

I explained to my little guy how I used to dread days when the highway was backed up that badly.  It was never a good way to start a day when you knew it would take an hour and a half just to get to work. 

He told me it was a good thing I decided to change jobs so I don't have to drive on that highway.  And then he asked me when I am going to finish my book so I can make some money at this job (apparently he has big plans for the money - I'm pretty sure he wants all of the Thomas the Tank Engine track sets). 

I told him I probably need two years. 

He did the math and asked if I would be done when he's six.  Then he told me in a very encouraging tone that I should get working on that today.  He promised to be real quiet after school so I can work all the way up until bedtime. 

I definitely can't work in the afternoons and up until bedtime because he does need me, but I am going to write just a little this morning and a little more tomorrow and the next day and the day after that until I have my momentum back.  The idea of it makes me feel happy again.

12 comments:

  1. Yay for happy writing!

    And, yep, it's taken me two years to write this current novel. It ended up being sort of complicated in places. Took awhile to figure it out. And I know you're doing lots of research, which takes time. Your little guy will just have to be patient until then. :)

    Also, people's posts (like this one) aren't loading up in the dashboard and sidebars on time, so it's taking awhile to find them before they finally show up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm not alone. It will take as long as it takes, huh?

    Thanks for the heads up about the posts showing up. There are definitely only a few listed in my dashboard (and mine is missing).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did he give you some motivation or what?
    And I've noticed a lag in posts appearing as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, when he came home he kind of forgot the deal he made, and we played with Legos instead. :)

      Delete
  4. LOL, I hope he doesn't have too many plans for the money! Cause, you know, for most writers it doesn't exactly show up in buckets ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that's true. One penny is huge money to him, although he does have pricey taste in toys.

      Delete
  5. Every sentence you write gets your project closer to the finish line.

    Little ones can be so wise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great to get that kind of support. Great too find the momentum again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, what a sweet little guy you have! It's adorable how supportive he is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is really adorable. What a great kid!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love how your little guy inspires you to keep writing like that. He's a treasure!
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete