Sunday, October 28, 2012

Healthy Writers Club

A couple of weeks ago, I signed up for Healthy Writer's Club, hosted by Shallee McArthur.  This is supposed to be posted on Friday, but I'll do it now since I'm two weeks behind schedule.

I got my physical on Friday.  I told my doctor I want to get back to my normal weight - 30 pounds less than my current weight.  The problem is I have nerve damage in my foot and my leg.  And a herniated disk in my back.  I can walk a mile but not fast enough to break a sweat.  I can ride my exercise bike or real bike for ten minutes - but that inevitably results in a muscle spasm in my hip that aggravates the damaged nerve. 

My doctor pondered it and decided I need to swim.  I said no.  He asked why not.  I said I hate it.

He said I need to do it anyway - its my only hope.  I told him I don't know how.  He said I should take lessons.  He played Jedi mind tricks on me until I agreed to swim laps with him - not literally with him, that would be awkward.  By the time I left, we agreed to make it a goal for both of us - one hour a week of swimming no matter what.

(BTW, he also gave me samples of two kinds of migraine meds - enough to last me 6 months.  Fingers crossed that they work.)

So I decided to get a day pass at the community center near my house to try it out before I commit to the monthly fee.  My husband went with me.  We had fun - actual fun where we smiled and enjoyed each other's company.  It was sort of like a date.  He went in first to see how high the water was - only 4 foot.  That seemed safe, so I got in next.  We swam laps as best we could next to the lap lanes (which were deeper) but inside the kid pool section. Whenever we needed to stop, we did. I don't like putting my face in the water, so I didn't.  The lifeguard kept staring at me.  I kind of appreciated it.  

My husband has apparently been suffering from exercise-induced asthma his whole life (as have I).  We both used our inhalers before we left the house.  And we both did great. 

He was like a kid that tried chocolate for the first time.  He kept describing to me how different it felt to be able to swim a lap and breathe at the same time.  He's never been able to enjoy exercise.  I honestly thought he was just lazy.  He just couldn't breathe.  I don't remember seeing him that happy since the day our baby was born.

We signed up for a pass and went back again today.  I'm hoping to get to my goal/normal healthy weight by April.  Maybe sooner.

For November, I'm doing NaNoWriMo and also plan to swim every day that I can and walk on the other days.  And I'm going to make the daily exercise habit a priority over NaNo.  Swim first, write later.

21 comments:

  1. Good for you! Swimming is one of the best exercises. And you had fun together. That is double bonus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely used all the muscles, but there wasn't one muscle in particular that was done in by it.

      Delete
  2. Awesome! I was right there on the side of your doctor, thinking swimming would be perfect for you. Yoga might be an alternative too. Low impact, but it builds muscle in ways you might not expect. Glad you had fun in the pool. Keep it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might not have liked it if I had gone alone the first time. It was fun with my husband.

      Delete
  3. Swimming is what I do. It helps a lot.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that you went swimming, and will continue to do so. How nice that it was like going on a date with your husband! Even water aerobic classes would probably be great too. You are smart to get in this habit now, because without exercise your condition will only get worse over time. Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will get better just from losing the weight - I hope so.

      Delete
  5. This post made me smile. It sounds like a wonderful swim/exercise date. Go Tonja!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We took the small one today - it was absolutely not a date, but they had fun together while I swam back and forth. The place has a rock climbing wall for my older kids, so they liked it too (they also are not fans of dipping their faces in water).

      Delete
  6. Good for you. Let us know how you make out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Double win with the exercise and the bonding activity with your hubby! Good luck with it, you've picked the right routine, exercising first will give you a good opportunity to contemplate your novel and will get your brain fired up to work when you get back to the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with your fitness goals. I try to walk everyday and vary it if needed. Swimming isn't my favourite activity, I prefer toning with free weights. Walking keeps my hips mobile too, since I injured my lower back a couple of times over the years.

    We'll be here to cheer you on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! Such great goals all around! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes I had to lose weight too (for my health). Although I enjoy swimming I also went to exercise in the water classes (hidrogymnastics) and they're great exercise. Also extremely low impact. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, good for you with the swimming! I actually really love to swim, but a lot of the year it is sort of cost-prohibitive. As for the athsma--I had a friend with it who swam regularly and said because of it, her lung capacity was comparable to someone without it.

    I really neeed to get working on my own weight loss stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a win-win situation! You benefit personally (bonding with hubby) and health-wise.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Having fun is the most important part. I'm really glad you and your husband were able to enjoy one another's company in such a productive way :D

    We're officially NaNo buds now. I am really looking forward to what you write, Tonja... after you're finished swimming, of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Taking care of ourselves is important. I just finished my workout. I enjoy aerobics, pilates, and yoga.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Swimming sounds excellent. And the water's not so deep too. Staying fit is hard. My only recommendation other than having fun is to focus on the exercise being a stress reliever. I find when I do this it helps keep me motivated.

    ReplyDelete