One day when my littlest was one, my husband put a tiny container of baby food in the microwave, the new plastic kind that has a foil seal across the top. He didn't notice a tiny bit of foil was on the container. And he walked away.
My daughter happened by, announced the problem, and we turned it off and had a fire extinguisher on hand in plenty of time. The fire put itself out - only the pureed squash was at risk.
After that, every day for about a year, my youngest wanted to hear the story about the day his dad caught the microwave on fire. Every day the story got bigger and included fire trucks and fire men that came with hoses. Eventually, the story changed - it was my son who saved us from the fire.
I can still see the look on my husband's face as we held in our laughter over our little one refusing to let the story go, refusing to forget that his dad made a mistake.
I do have several more fire and fire truck stories, which I will share another day - none of them involved any real damage, just little reminders we should be more careful.
* * * * * *
Thanks again to the hosts at http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/ for hosting this month-long event.