Sunday, November 28, 2010

Bike Challenge November Update

A few weeks ago, I decided to take a virtual bike ride to Seattle, Washington from my home in southwest Ohio in an effort to get healthy again after a series of setbacks that have made it difficult to exercise.  I am hoping to lose 22 pounds in a year or less.  My kids would love to go on an actual bike ride to Seattle, but this will have to do for now.

Today I added up my miles, 16.7 so far over three weeks, which is way less than I planned but is at least a start.  I looked at Google Maps to see where I was and found that they have a bike route option, which is more miles but simulates how you would actually go on bike, which is super cool.  I tried to print it out to track my progress, but the directions included 59 printed pages, which is totally unusable.  Instead, saved an image of the map and the step by step directions so I can track my progress.


The little red dot next to the A is where I am, which is so close to the starting point that the big arrow that points to my current location seems to also point to the starting point.  I will persevere nonetheless with my goal for next month to make it to Indiana and maybe burn off some of the pumpkin pie. 

It looks like it is about 100 miles from the starting point to Richmond, Indiana, which is just inside the Indiana border on the bike route I have selected.  So I have about 85 miles to go to reach this goal before January 1.  I am sure I can do it.  If you would like to join me, leave a comment with your virtual progress and I will post it on the Bike Challenge page.

My other goal for this week and the weeks up until Christmas is to lay off of the pies, cookies, and sugary sweets that seem to be creeping into my life.  It's all  beans, vegetables, and brown rice for me for three weeks.  Yum....?

No comments:

Post a Comment